Focus Motor for SCT and EdgeHD
- The Celestron Focus Motor enables electronic focusing using a computer or Celestron computerized mount hand controller for remote/hands-free observing.
- Self-powering: When connected to a Celestron computerized mount, the mount provides the power. When connected directly to a computer, USB provides the power.
- Compatible with a wide variety of Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain, EdgeHD, and Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph optical tubes. Check description for full list.
- Motor controls include multiple speed rates, automatic GoTo indexed focuser position, and focuser backlash compensation.
- Focuser Utility software for Windows provides a simple user interface. Also compatible with Celestron PWI.
- Enables autofocusing with a camera and third-party software via ASCOM.
- Indexed focus position allows the motor to automatically return to a previous focus position and prevents the focus motor from reaching the end of telescope’s mechanical focus travel.
- Now compatible with the 9.25” EdgeHD.
- Support & Downloads
The Focus Motor provides electronic focusing for Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain (SCT), EdgeHD, and RASA telescope optical tubes. With the focus motor installed, you can bring celestial objects into sharp, precise focus using your telescope’s hand controller or a computer instead of using the focuser knob. A focus motor is great for visual observers who want to dial in exact focus (especially those with dexterity issues) and a must-have accessory for astroimagers. With a motorized focuser installed, an astroimager no longer needs to be physically near the telescope to focus an image. Combined with computerized control of the mount and camera, the focus motor enables the imager to gather data remotely from a backyard observatory, or even a telescope located hundreds of miles away. As an added bonus, port covers protect the ports while not in use, and the covers cannot be lost due to the tethered design.
Compatible Optical Tubes
The focus motor is compatible with all SCTs from 6” to 14” in aperture that have been produced since the year 2006. It is not compatible with 5” SCTs or older models. It is compatible with the 8” Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA), the 36cm RASA, the 7” Maksutov-Cassegrain, and all the EdgeHD optical tubes. It can also be used with the 11” RASA, but requires the Focuser Retrofit Kit for RASA 11.
For 6” Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes only, the Off-Axis Guider (#93648) cannot be used when the focus motor is installed due to mechanical interferences.
There are three options for powering your Celestron Focus Motor:
- When using a Celestron computerized mount, you can power and control the focus motor through the mount using the supplied AUX cable. This allows control from the mount’s hand controller (NexStar+ or StarSense) or a computer.
- If you are not using a Celestron mount, you can power and control the focus motor from a computer USB port. You will need a user supplied USB A-to-B cable.
- You may also opt to use an external 12V DC power source which plugs into the motor’s power jack.
Celestron offers a free Focuser Utility program for computer control. The Celestron PWI software can also control the focus motor. To use third-party focuser control software, an ASCOM driver is needed.
The Focus Motor is compatible with 6 inch or larger Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes (SCTs) built since the year 2006. I" m not sure when my SCT was built, how do I determine if the Focus Motor is compatible or not?
You can determine if the Focus Motor is compatible with your Celestron SCT by examining the design of its rear cell. This applies to fork mounted optical tubes and optical tubes with dovetail mounting bars.
Older generation Celestron SCTs built before the year 2006 are not compatible with the Focus Motor. These older optical tubes have either a flat face or a ribbed face on the rear cell. See photo examples below.
Newer generation Celestron SCTs built in the year 2006 or later are compatible with the Focus Motor. These newer OTAs have a trilobed shape on the rear cell. In addition, newer generation 14 inch SCTs have a rounded rear cell. See photo examples below. All 6" SCTs built in 2006 or later are compatible with the focus motor.
Support & Downloads