- Support & Downloads
The PowerTank Lithium keeps the charge going for the astronomer on the go. The Lithium Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery chemistry has significant advantages over other battery chemistries.
- The LiFePO4 has an un-recharged shelf life of 10 years compared to 3 years for the Lithium Iron and 6-9 months for a Sealed Lead-Acid battery.
- The battery performance of the PowerTank Lithium degrades at a much slower pace than other chemistries.
- The LiFePO4 can be charged and discharged 2000 times compared to only 500 for a Lithium Iron battery and 300 for sealed lead-acid designs.
- The batteries will last as long as the telescope you use it with!
- The LiFePO4 uses phosphates instead of environmentally hazardous elements like cobalt or lead commonly found in other rechargeable batteries.
- Can withstand higher temperatures than lithium-iron designs and will not be a fire danger if accidentally punctured.
This combined with its rugged design make it the perfect outdoor power supply.
Keep your telescopes, smartphones, tablets, GPS systems, cameras and other USB-powered devices as active as you are with PowerTank Lithiumâ€”the ideal outdoor portable-charging solution for your electronic gear.
PowerTank Lithium Compatibility List
Will power any computerized mount
|Advanced VX||LCM series|
|Astro Fi||CPC, CPC DX|
|CG-5 (with CG-5 Aux. splitter)||NexStar Evolution|
|CGE||NexStar GT (2015 models and newer with Aux. splitter)|
|NexStar SE Series||SkyProdigy|
|CGEM II||NexStar SLT|
|CGEM, CGEM DX|
PowerTank Lithium " Auto Shutoff Feature
PowerTank Lithium batteries come with a safety feature that prevents them from slowly discharging if they are left unattended for long periods of time.
This feature works by monitoring the current being drawn from the battery. If the current drops below a threshold level, the battery automatically turns itself off.
- For PowerTank Lithium batteries that use a 12V telescope port, the threshold is 250mA.
- For PowerTank Lithium batteries that use a car battery adapter port, the threshold is 420mA.
Celestron computerized telescopes draw more than 250mA when the mounts are powered on, aligned, and tracking. However, if you turn on the battery and telescope, but do not align and engage the telescope" s tracking motors, your setup may not draw enough current. After a prolonged period, this could cause the PowerTank Lithium to turn itself off.
When using a PowerTank Lithium Pro battery to power your computerized telescope, we highly recommend using the 12V telescope output to provide power to your mount. The car battery port was designed to provide power for much heavier loads (up to 10 Amps). To accommodate this larger load, the threshold for the port was increased to 420mA. Some Celestron telescopes, even aligned and with the tracking motors on, may not draw 420mA of current. This could cause the battery to turn itself off. You can avoid this by using the 12V telescope port.
Support & Downloads